The Legacy of Dr. Robert Garrison, Jr. and Ruby Garrison
Muskegon civic leaders Dr. Robert Garrison Jr. and Ruby Garrison established an unrestricted fund for general charitable purposes in 1989. As long-time community supporters, the Garrisons wished to give a permanent gift that could address Muskegon’s needs now and into the future. They wished for its capabilities to match their own broad interests and they also wanted the pleasure of seeing its work in their lifetime. The Ruby D. & Robert E. Garrison Jr. Fund did just that, and has continued since their passing two decades ago.
Ruby Garrison served the community as a teacher for Muskegon Heights Schools until her retirement. She was also a member of Queen Esther Baptist Church. Dr. Robert Garrison Jr. was the only Black physician in the Muskegon area after being hired by Hackley Hospital in 1958. He served as a Tuskegee Airman in World War II, though he didn’t talk much about his service. He was also known for his position as the first Black member of the Muskegon Community College Board of Trustees and for serving as a Trustee for the Community Foundation for Muskegon County for 10 years. Dr. Robert and Ruby Garrison’s gift honors their legacy and will continue to serve the community they loved, forever.
Pictured below: Dr. Robert Garrison Jr. in front of a 1944 P-51 plane similar to what he flew during WWII.