White Lake Community Fund Awards Grants
<June 19, 2018> On Monday, May 14, 2018, community members gathered to celebrate the most recent grants from the White Lake Community Fund of the Community Foundation for Muskegon County. The Fund proudly presented checks totaling $25,971 to seven local organizations for support of programs to benefit the White Lake area and its citizens:
- $3,500 to the Arts Council of White Lake to support the Artist in Resident Program
- $2,000 to Ferry Memorial Reformed Church to support the Food and More program
- $9,400 to Montague Area Public Schools for the Real Food Student Leadership program
- $6,700 to Montague and Whitehall Schools, to support Real Food Farm Experiences for Montague and Whitehall students
- $2,500 to Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association to support Lighthouse Activity Booklets for the White River Light Station
- $1,871 to White Lake Robotics to support the First Robotics Lego League, Jr.
The White Lake Community Fund also made a grant of $25,000 to the Howmet Playhouse, their second-year payment of a $250,000, 10-year commitment to the Playhouse.
“We are very excited about the White Lake Community Fund grants,” said Dan Gorman, Food Service Director, Whitehall/Montague Public Schools. “The funds offer us the opportunity to directly impact our students and to increase their connections with locally grown foods and build experiences and habits which will translate into better health for our community. These activities in combination with the other enrichment programs offered by the school food service programs at both Montague and Whitehall Schools build an environment of health that will yield healthier more productive students.”
“The White Lake Robotics program is excitedly planning for the 2018-19 season in which all levels of FIRST robotics programs will have themes about space, said Jen Jura. “We are grateful for the support of the White Lake Community Fund which helps us to purchase upgraded equipment for the teams to use for this year and for several years to come.”
The White Lake Community Fund, created over 30 years ago, is an Advised Fund of the Community Foundation for Muskegon County, established to promote community efforts in the White Lake Area. Grants are awarded on a competitive basis, twice a year to non-profit organizations that have submitted a proposal to the fund’s advisory board.
To continue to provide these grants, The White Lake Community Fund gratefully accepts gifts, donations, memorial contributions and bequests at any time and may be mailed to WLCF, c/o the Community Foundation for Muskegon County, 425 W. Western Ave., Suite 200, Muskegon, MI 49440. Gifts can also be made online at www.cffmc.org. For more information contact the White Lake Community Fund through the Community Foundation for Muskegon County.